9/29/07

Sad realization!

Well, I've made two realizations about 2.3.

One is I incorrectly read (i.e. assumed Blizzard devs had small amounts of logic in their thought patterns) the notes about abolish/decurse. That being you can ONLY decurse in Moonkin and ONLY abolish in tree. For PvP I'm not sure any druid would be in either form, because being hamstrung, banishable, or unable to use HoTs seems like a bad thing. And for PvE it's sorta lame because there's only two fights (Vashj, Archimonde) that have a poison or a curse.

Vashj has a posion and it's super-important it gets cleansed ASAP. Due to this reason I was never in tree, but even with this change I don't think (If I ever kill Vashj again, haven't been to SSC in weeks) I'd go in Tree. The way we did Vashj involved me healing a large area by myself and involved a lot of running, so the whole 20% thing wouldn't work to well.

For Archimonde tree form would be really awesome. But alas, can't decurse in tree so it's again undoable. Overall it seems this change didn't really "change" anything. Maybe a couple of 5 man bosses and trash pulls will be easier, but in the great scheme of PvE and PvP it's sorta a useless change. Have I mentioned I want to be able to buff in Tree?

The second is a sort of weird change that was realized by someone else in my guild. As of right now, if you gear isn't bad, Super Secret Trinket is the best trinket for regen for druids. It's a very strong trinket that I use on longer fights I generally have mana issues (I think my guild must run with less Shadow Priests than most guilds because I very seldom get one, and most druids seem as if they always have one.) and if you're lucky (I once got like 14 procs on Void Reaver and couldn't spend my mana fast enough, pretty awesome!) it's even better.

As of now every druid worth their non-bark, but bark looking skin has Intensity. This means when it procs you get the other 85% of your mana regen from spirit. Now, since it's nerf from being buggy and simply increasing your regen by 100% (Back in the day if you had the T2 bonus and intensity and it procced you actually got 130% regen!), if for some reason you're already at 100%, like if it procs off casting or during an innervate or you're out of the 5 second rule, it's effectively useless. This also means with intensity raising us up to 30% regen, it's also a weird nerf to the trinket because it can only give you the other 70% of your regen. CRAZY!!

15% of your spirit regen as a nerf. Trinket still good? Yeah, but just think about it a little bit.

3 comments:

Aftereight said...

Hmmn, thats a good point, its odd that they specifically say they will increase utility in forms, but don't give Tree form decurse.

On the other hand since Mages are the parent class of the Balance tree, I can see why Moonkin was given decurse in their form.

As for the Blue Dragon, whilst its a "gentle" indirect nerf I've not encountered any other trinket which even comes close to giving me the same mana regeneration yet. Unless they include a super trinket in Zul'Aman of course.:)

Magna said...

The problem with blue dragon after the patch however, it maybe mana regen will be less of a conern. I myself am getting 40-50 more mana/5 simply from the increased intensity, and thats a pretty substantial amount. As of now, as I said, I only use Blue Dragon on fights where spend a larger amount of mana.. So it's "nerf" coupled with a huge amount of passive regen we're getting... it doesn't look as good as it once did.

Aftereight said...

We'll see once the patch comes out, but thinking about it if we have more mana from Intensity, this means we have more mana to cast spells giving an additional chance each cast to proc the card. Wouldn't that in itself give the card more utility?

If you feel you've reached the equilibrium where stacking mana doesn't feel essential (trash fights aside), then whats left? +healing, +spirit, +spell haste?